I’ve been eating gluten free for about 4 years now, ever since I discovered that it was the cause of all my tummy troubles and lack of energy. All recipes that I post will most likely be gluten or wheat free . I do a lot of my own baking as I enjoy it and is more cost-effective. Also, most of the recipes I post are my own concoction, in the case that it is not, I will give credit where it is due.
I love pancakes! If I had it my way, I would eat them every day. My favorite variety that I just discovered recently is oatmeal pancakes. Although oats are not 100% gluten free, you can buy wheat free oats. I purchase Only Oats Quick Oats as they make for an easy go to bowl of oatmeal in the morning and can also be used in cookies and such. Bob’s Red Mill also makes a wheat free rolled oat that is perfect for granola. Oatmeal pancakes are not only delicious but seriously filling.
GF Oatmeal Pancakes
1 cup wheat free oats
1 cup gf flour mix (I make up my own, but you can use your favorite)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp brown sugar or 1 tbsp of honey
1 1/2 cups milk or water
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients mixing well until combined.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes for oats to soften up a little. In the mean time, heat a non-stick pan or electric flat top griddle.
- Cook as you would regular pancakes, placing a large spoonful in the pan. You may need to give it a little help and spread it out a little.
- You know it’s time to flip when you see the popped bubbles. Cook for a couple more minutes until cooked through.
I like to top my pancakes off with fresh fruitand a drizzle of syrup, yesterday I splurged and added a little whipped cream.
Makes 6 – 8 pancakes (or 4 big ones if you make them pan size like I do)
Apple Spice Oatmeal Pancakes
Add to the above recipe:
1/2 apple grated
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
You may need to adjust milk or water a bit as consistency may be a little different.
Note: I promise to stop using my cellphone for photos, it does not show the appropriate yummyness factor!